CLICK HERE for a Critter specific application, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
The following work exchange currently has openings:
We Critters are in somewhat of a strange position. We are stretched pretty thin in the way of management and organizational capacity. We’re busy with the official Dancing Rabbit visitor program. Many of our building projects are not easy for extra hands to tap into. And some of us are admittedly not very good at managing others in a work environment.
BUT we would really like to give more folks the opportunity to experience life at Dancing Rabbit (and especially in a way that doesn’t cost money). We’ve been scratching our heads to find a way that would allow us to host more folks in a way that feels good to everyone in the Critter Collective subcommunity, and we’ve come up with a role you could fill– a “Critter Kitchen helper.” This would entail providing general help around our summer kitchen (the backbone of our subcommunity). To be clear, this is not a glamorous position. You will undoubtedly learn a lot about off grid living, but this learning would be unstructured and unguided. Many of your responsibilities could be considered mundane. But they are important and would provide a great help to our subcommunity.
- Cooking once per week (we’re all wood and sun!)
- Hauling drinking water to the kitchen
- Helping in various gardens
- Taking out the kitchen trash and recycling
- Processing kindling for our wood cook stove
- Helping to process food (canning, drying, etc.)
- One “humanure” shift during your stay (taking six buckets to the Dancing Rabbit compost site)
- Helping with livestock, including milking goats or moving fence
- Helping on earthen building projects (helping to finish a cob wall around parts of the kitchen)
- Helping plant or manage trees
- Helping to process firewood for the Dancing Rabbit common house
- An engaging social scene that fuses off grid living with cooperation and fun
- An opportunity to experience the inner workings of a radical experimental community– Dancing Rabbit Ecovillage
- Food– 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. Meals in town, extra goodies on the side, and alcohol are not covered
- Lodging– In the form of a tent platform.
- Basic amenities– Outhouse, showers, sinks, coin operated laundry, internet
- Miscellaneous extras– Swimming pond, Dancing Rabbit Common House, library, 280 acres of timber and prairie with trails, common bikes, etc.